Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Why? There are tons of parties to go to! Not only that, but it gives you an excuse to spend the evening as someone or something else. What’s a party without a great cocktail? If you are looking for one that’s in the Halloween spirit and tasty at the same time, the folks at FoodNetwork.com have you covered. Let me share with you my experience and tips from making their Blueberry Rickety Eyeball Punch.
Here’s the recipe:
Blueberry Rickety Eyeball Punch
|Prep time||1 hour, 10 minutes|
- 12 - 24 fresh blueberries
- 1 can lychees in syrup, drained (reserve 5 to 6 tablespoons syrup from the can)
- 3 cups blueberry juice cocktail
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (~ 4 limes)
- 2 cups sparkling water
- 3/4 cups gin (This can be left out to make it kid friendly!)
This recipe makes a refreshing punch, but it just seemed light on the gin. Perhaps that is just because of the crowd with which I hang. (Hiccup!) I would suggest adjusting the ratio of sparkling water and gin depending on how strong you want the drink to be. In general, this punch is very easy to drink and will be a hit at your next Halloween party. Everyone will absolutely love the eyeballs! I guarantee people will take a second glance when they see them.
A few of suggestions for making this drink your own:
- Sample each of the ingredients before you make the first batch. This way you know what flavors each contributes. Adjust accordingly!
- Finding lychees in canned syrup can be challenging. Call your local Asian or international market.
- Use quality ingredients! This is true for all cocktails. Take the time to make the fresh squeezed lime juice. It’s the details that make all the difference.
- When making the eyeballs, I used strawberry ice cream topping to roll the eyeballs in to give them a “bloodshot” look.
Please share your experiences. Cheers!